Sunday, October 16, 2011

Blog Post 8

Dr. Richard Miller: This Is How We Dream, Part 1 and Part 2
Wires connecting for collaboration
In parts 1 and 2 of “This is How We Dream,” Miller notes many of the changes that have occurred because of our generations increased use of technology. Miller notes that we used to work with paper and pencil, yet now we rely on word processor and our laptop to record our writing. While working on a desktop, we can research through the data that is online instead of having to enter the halls of a library. We can find so much online. One thing that I found very interesting is how Miller mentions how his academic publishing can be found in separate formatting. He mentions that the printed source of his academic writing will most likely end up discarded in the trash bin, while his web-formatted academic writing will live on forever. This just shows how print is becoming less important and is deteriorating in our society.

Miller talks about how he created a document for his “Creativity and Collaboration” class that used text, audio, images, and video in one single document. This provides a richer educational experience for students, because they are being taught using multiple approaches. I feel like creating a document as Miller has done will be incredibly helpful for students who are visual learners. He also talks about sharing knowledge digitally. It is impressive how easy it is to share knowledge on the internet! One can embed links and codes on other’s sites to share information, create public sites, or a googledoc for someone else to edit. It is impressive how we can connect so easily. He also mentions how easy it is to collaborate with others using technology through uses of things such as video conferences, googledocs, and email. You are not solely limited to only using text. You can use multiple types of media such as images and video to back up what you are trying to say.

I think that many educators should take notice of Miller's suggestion to implement multimedia into how they teach. I have been subjected to many powerpoints that were completely devoid of anything other than text, and it can be incredibly hard to pay attention to lectures when there are no images, audio files, or videos to capture your attention. As an educator I will want to incorporate the use of multimedia into my lessons to make sure that I keep my student's interested in what I am trying to teach them. I believe that I will be able to get my student's to be interested in multimedia, and I hope to be able to teach my student's how to use multimedia themselves.

Carly Pugh: Blog Post #12
multimedia buttons
As I look at Carly Pugh’s blog assignment #12, one thing is obviously apparent; she provides many visuals and formats other than only using text to teach information that she views as important. I am completely amazed at how large of a playlist Carly was able to create! In Carly's blog assignment, she created a playlist that contains 44 videos that she found on Youtube. I believe that she does follow Dr. Miller’s hopes for writing in multimedia, because she incorporates multiple types of media to enhance how she teaches others. She recognizes in her post that not all people learn from text. She talks about how visuals can help teach students, and I completely agree because I believe that visuals can help students who are visual learners. Adding videos instead of relying completely on text will also help keep the students engaged. If you teach a student only through text, you are bound to lose their attention. Videos can enrich the way to teach a subject, and I am glad that Carly has rounded up so many videos that she believes will help benefit us. Her work makes me want to round up a playlist of my own videos that I believe will be helpful when I am a teacher.

The Chipper Series and EDM310 For Dummies
Procrastinate stick figure drawn on chalkboardThese videos use humor to talk about EDM 310. In "the Chipper Series," Chipper is a student who does not want to follow the rules set by EDM310. Chipper wants to be taught instead of learning. Chipper procrastinates on her work and does not want to put any effort into attaining her education. Chipper shows us what type of student we do not want to be. If you want to learn something that is worthwhile, the chances are that you will have to work hard in order to learn how to do that something. In order to succeed, you will have to devote time and effort. Chipper did neither of those things, so it is not shocking that she is not very successful at the things that she sets out to do. "EDM For Dummies" is a funny video that talks about tutorials for all of the sites and tools that we use in EDM310. It talks about tweeting, how to improve a PLN, and so much more. This video talks about how learning new things can be incredibly difficult, but if you devote the time to learn how to do something, you will be able to succeed. Students in EDM 310 can consult the class blog for their EDM310 needs or attend a lab if they need help. Videos are a fun way to grab the attention of viewers, and videos can be used to help supplement material that is being taught in class. I hope to use videos in my classroom to go along with what I am teaching. I feel that using videos will help keep my students focused on the lesson that I am trying to teach. I also think that it would be fun to get my students involved in making videos of their very own.

Learn to Change, Change to Learn
Technology is increasingly present in our society today. Students are constantly connected through use of various types of technology. One woman in the video says that it is important to provide the best teachers for a student. In order to be the best type of teacher, a person must be informed on the ways of today. That is why it is so important for the teachers of today to know how to use technology. We are supposed to teach children things that are important, and technology is definitely important. Think of all the possibilities and opportunities that are open for students if teachers show the students how to use technology correctly. Students can get into contact with businesses to learn about subjects firsthand and make connections that might help them in the future when they want to get a job. Teachers must first know how to use technology in order to teach the children how to use it effectively. The video argues that it is important for teachers to find a place that they can collaborate together and share information with each other. I agree with this video. The way that we teach children has to change. I believe that EDM 310 has offered me the knowledge on how to use many technological tools that will help me reform the way I will teach my future students.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Brittany!
    "I think that many educators should talk notice of Miller's suggestion to implement multimedia into how they teach" I definitely agree with you! They really should. When I was in high school, I definitely learned more when my teachers incorporated the use of technology in their lessons. Same for college! It is so much easier to take notes during lectures when teachers use power point presentations and smart boards.
    "If you want to learn something that is worthwhile, the chances are that you will have to work hard in order to learn how to do that something." This is a great statement, and I most definitely agree with you. We are definitely having to work hard to become teachers! If we don't work hard, then we will probably never get there. You did a great job on your blog post, and from the way it sounds you are going to be a great teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Brittany,

    First, I love the format of your blog. It's so bright and airy. Okay, now that I've complimented your style, haha, let's get down to the commenting.

    Your responses and assessments for this assignment are very thorough and well-written except for a few bloopers here and there ("interenet," "incredibly difficulty," "out laptop") but those aren't too horrible.

    Overall, I think this was a great post.

    ReplyDelete