Friday, November 4, 2011

Additional Post 1

Metaphor drawing
Metaphors: What They Are and Why We Use Them
1. Why did you miss the metaphor in Tom Johnson's post, or, if you "hit the nail on the head", why do you think you understood the metaphor and why do you think that others in the class missed the metaphor?
I believe that I missed the metaphor because I did not read Tom Johnson's article closely enough. I should have done some more research around the blog to try and find more clues to show me that the pencils that are talked about in the article are a metaphor for technology. Now that I look over the article again, it does seem a little far-fetched that someone would be making such a big deal about tools such as pencils.

2. What metaphors have you encountered since I asked you to create a log of them?
I have seen metaphors in many of my other classes, such as my American Literature class this semester. Metaphors are very common in figurative language, so it is not shocking that I have stumbled upon many metaphors in the books and poems that I have read.

3. What other things can we do as educators to help our students to understand and to use metaphors?
First of all, I think it is important that teachers teach their students what a metaphor is and how to identify them when they are used. I also think that it is important to emphasize the importance of reading things closely and slowly. Many times people try to speed read their assignments because they want to be done as soon as possible. When people do this though, often they miss important things such as metaphors and the true meaning of the peice of work they are reading. I will make sure that I ask my students to read their assignments carefully. I want them to be able to understand the true meaning of assignments they are given.

4. Why do we use metaphors?
We use metaphors to create writing that is rich and full of life. Metaphors are a fun and creative way to compare one thing to another thing in the world. Metaphors allow you to draw connections between two things. Metaphors also make writing more interesting to read.

No comments:

Post a Comment