Friday, November 4, 2011

C4K 2

50 states map
For my first C4k, I was assigned Dykio. We were asked to say hello and present an interesting fact addressed to our student about the United States. I wrote that if you look on a map, Alaska is typically drawn to a scale that is smaller than Texas. In reality though, Alaska is at least two times the size of Texas. I learned this from a teacher I had in Elementary School.

Hecate and other Halloween traditions
Madison is in period 5 of Mrs. Gregory's 6th grade class. Madison wrote about the origins behind many of the various halloween traditions we still practice today. She went over topics such as why costumes are worn, the tale behind a Jack-o-Lantern, and why people may bob for apples on this holiday. I never really thought about the history behind the holiday. I commented on her post saying that she really captured my interest with all the stories she shared. I also mentioned that it I found it remarkable how the people in the past worked so hard to ward off being possessed by a spirit. I told her to keep up the great work since she taught me so much about the holiday.

danger of smoking
Rachel is also in period 5 of Mrs. Greogory's 6th grade class. Unlike being assigned to comment on Madison's post, I used the name generator on Mrs. Greogory's class blog and Rachel's name was randomly selected. Rachel wrote about cancer. She covered topics such as what cancer is, habits that can increase the risk of cancer, and the most common types of cancer. Her post was incredibly informative. I commented and let Rachel know that I really liked was how she made an appeal to her audience to try and live healthy. She asked those who were smokers to reconsider their habit because it could seriously harm them. I let her know that I am not a smoker, and I do not plan to start smoking because I know how smoking seriously harms the body. I also let Rachel know that I liked the picture she included in her blog.

Girl and boy getting ready to run
Jordi is a student in 2KM at Leopold Primary School in Victoria, Australia. In her post, Jordi wrote all about her love of athletics. She is very involved in athletics at her school. She has done the 800 meter run and she came in third place in an activity called “the walk.” Jordi has included many visuals in her blog, which I really enjoy. I commented on Jordi’s blog and congratulated her for her success with her athletics. I told her that I loved how she included so many graphics and pictures within her post, and that I hope she keeps up with her great work in the future.

Australian Outback sign with kangaroo
Michael is a student in Room 9 at Pt England School which is located in Auckland, New Zealand. In his post, Michael created a very neat animation of the Australian Outback! His animation is very impressive. I commented on his animation by saying that I enjoyed how colorful he made the animation and how he included music in the background. I told him that he is very gifted and that he should be proud of what he has created.

Life long learner written on a chalkboard
Mike Gwaltney teaches a high school history class in Portland, Oregon called the Age of Exploration.This week I read The Power of Research, which is a blog post written by his student named Elliot. Elliot realizes that the skills he learns in this class will be helpful later in life. He talks about becoming a life-long learner, which is something that I want to be as well. I commented on his post by saying that it is apparent that he has learned a lot about himself as a scholar. The flexibility of the project allowed Elliot to discover his strengths and weaknesses when it comes to research. I told Elliot that I love when I am given the opportunity to create a project of my choosing, because I do not like for my creativity to be stifled by the rigidness of guidelines. I ended my comment by saying that I hope Elliot keeps his thirst for knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment