Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Blog Post 12

Facebook on chalkboard
For this assignment we had to create our own blog post that we thought should have been an assignment for EDM 310. I decided to look for articles that dealt with the topic of teachers using Facebook and how teachers have gotten in trouble using the social media site.

Some states have actually set restrictions on the use of Social Networking sites used by teachers: Missouri Teacher Law Banning FB

Be sure to also answer the following questions:
1. Do you have a facebook or other type of Social Networking site?
2. Do you have material that may get you in trouble with your employers/future employers? (cursing, inappropriate pictures, etc)
3. Do you have privacy settings on your facebook page?
I suggest that everyone takes the time to actually look at their facebook thoroughly. This will be beneficial for you in the long run. Some people may think that their antics will not get them in trouble, but you would be surprised at the how often teachers get in trouble for things that they post online. You want to appear professional at all times. You are leaving an intellectual trail, as we are always told in this class, so do not post something that you would not want everyone to see.

Now, take a look at these two articles. Please summarize your thoughts on the articles, including your thoughts and opinions on what you read. 1.) Eight Ways Teachers Can Get In Trouble Because Of Facebook. These are all ways that you can get into trouble by using a social networking site.
2.) Ten Ways Teachers Can Use Facebook To Connect To Students This article focuses on the positive ways teachers can use Facebook to improve their classroom.

My answer to the assignment:
I do have a Facebook account of my own. I also have a Twitter account. I make sure that I do not post anything that is obscene on my Facebook. I try to make sure that I use clean language and that none of my pictures are controversial. My Facebook profile is private. Only my friends can view what I post online. Even though I have privacy settings, I make sure that I keep my Facebook clean because I want my facebook to be a proper reflection of who I am as a person. The first article deals with ways that teachers can get into trouble by using Facebook. I found it horrible that teachers were using facebook to make fun of or to complain about their students. Students are supposed to look up to you as an educator and not feel bullied by their teachers. As I continue to read the article I am horrified at the actions of some of these teachers. One thing that I am truly disturbed about in particular is that a teacher made fun of a student's death on facebook. Death is not a laughing matter and it is just sad that a teacher would go to such lengths to joke about a tragic loss of life. I see a consistent theme of the teachers in this article making a mockery of themselves and their schools. I believe that Social Networking can be used for good, but we need to use the networks professionally. We are supposed to be role models for our students, so we need to act in a manner that is respectable.

The second article explains how Facebook can be used in a positive and educational manner within the classroom. Facebook is a tool that can be used by teachers to connect with their students. I especially like how the article mentions that Facebook allows teachers to connect with their students in a manner that students are familiar with. Students are well versed in the ways of technology, so having a teacher that understands things that student's are accustomed to is important. Facebook can also be used by the students to keep up with their assignments. Overall, Facebook can be used in a positive manner. It is just up to the teachers to use the social media site in a way that is benefitial and not harmful towards the students.

I found two other articles on facebook that future educators might find interesting. I would suggest that you take a look at the following links:
1.) Facebook in First Grade
2.) Complete Guide To Facebook For Educators

No comments:

Post a Comment